Sunday, March 2, 2014

First Sunday!

Despite being totally swamped, Peter and I made it out for the first time since turning 26 for a first Sunday museum day! What I just said makes no sense without a brief primer on two lovely French policies (and for once, I describe French policies without a hint of irony).

1. Until your 26th birthday, (nearly) all the museums in Paris are free. We're talking the Louvre, Orsay, the Orangerie, Rodin, you name it. Not a penny to visit world treasures if you're under 26 (and an EU citizen or resident).

2. Softening the blow of turning 26 (or of learning of this policy as a non-EU citizen or resident), France opens its museums to everyone for free on the first Sunday of every month.

This policy has one catch: you have to actually remember when the first Sunday of the month rolls around, which has proven surprisingly difficult over the past year. For once, however, around lunch time today it hit me and so we managed to swing about a half hour in the gardens of the Musée Rodin. I think we spent about as much time admiring the plant growth as the non-living artwork. Nonetheless, I'm giving myself a pat on the back for finally hitting up our first first-Sunday!

The Musée Rodin (and its plants)

No comments:

Post a Comment